“Rolling Stone” posted a list of the 25 worst original names that famous bands almost went with, and gave the top honors to CREED. When they got together in the mid-’90s, their original name was “Naked Toddler”.
Lead singer Scott Stapp said in his autobiography that their guitarist came up with it, but obviously people hated it because it reminded them of PEDOPHILES. Here’s the full list . . .
- Creed was originally “Naked Toddler”.
- Creedence Clearwater Revival originally went as “The Golliwogs”. It was a reference to a BLACKFACE character in racist children’s books from the 1800’s. The guy who owned the first label they signed with came up with it.
- Black Sabbath was originally “The Polka Tulk Blues Band”.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers started as “Tony Flow and the Miraculously Majestic Masters of Mayhem”.
- Sugar Ray originally went by “The Shrinky Dinks”.
- (CAREFUL!) The post-grunge band Finger Eleven were originally the “Rainbow Butt Monkeys”.
- The heavy metal band Lamb of God started out with the name “Burn the Priest”.
- (CAREFUL!) The Doobie Brothers originally went by the name “Pud”, which is a slang term for the MALE ANATOMY.
- Earth, Wind, and Fire were “The Salty Peppers”.
- Blue Oyster Cult was called the “Soft White Underbelly”.
- Pink Floyd started out as the “Screaming Abdabs”. “Abdab” is a British term that basically means the same thing as the “heebie-jeebies”.
- Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley from KISS were originally in a band called “Wicked Lester”.
- The Beastie Boys were originally “The Young Aborigines”.
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony were “The Band Aid Boys”.
- The Black Crowes were “Mr. Crowe’s Garden”.
- Green Day started out with the name “Sweet Children”.
- The Beach Boys were originally “The Pendeltons”, and also considered the name “The Surfers”.
- Maroon 5 released two albums under the name “Kara’s Flowers”. Kara was one of their groupies.
- Def Leppard was originally called “Atomic Mass”.
- Brian May and Roger Taylor were in a band called “Smile”. Then Freddy Mercury joined the group and came up with the name Queen.
- The Cure started out as “The Obelisk”.
- Radiohead’s original name was “On a Friday”, because they got together to practice on Friday nights.
- Pearl Jam booked their first gig in 1990 under the name “Mookie Blaylock”. He was a point guard for the New Jersey Nets at the time.
- The Roots started as “The Square Roots”.
- Simon and Garfunkel started out in the ’50s under the name “Tom and Jerry”.
(Check out “Rolling Stone’s” full write-up about each name here.)