Loudwire.com put together a list of the 25 Nastiest Rock Feuds. Here are some of the highlights:
1. Dave Mustaine vs. Metallica: Dave was IN Metallica, but they fired him in 1983, before they got big. They sort of made up during the filming of the documentary “Some Kind of Monster”.
And in 2010, Dave’s band Megadeth played with Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax in those “Big 4” concerts.
2. Axl Rose vs. Slash: As for how it started, pick your rumor. The most amusing one surfaced last year, when an ex-Guns N’ Roses manager blamed Michael Jackson.
Supposedly, Axl got mad at Slash for working with Michael, because Axl was molested as a child. Whatever the case, this one’s over, and it appears they’re ripping it up onstage.
3. Ian Gillan vs. Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple: This one’s not going to end until one of these guys is DEAD. Ian left Purple in ’73 because of Ritchie. They reunited in ’84, but he was gone again by ’89.
He came back a few years later, but by ’93, Blackmore had left. And he’s been gone ever since. Relations are still so bad that Blackmore didn’t even show up for their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction this year.
4. Bill Ward vs. Black Sabbath: This one might just suck the hardest, because Sabbath is on its farewell tour with just 75% of its original lineup . . . when they could EASILY be at full strength.
Bill didn’t like the contract he was offered for the reunion, and that was that. There’s still time to finish it right, though. They don’t play their final show until February.
5. Joey Ramone vs. Johnny Ramone: This is one of the most AMAZING feuds in rock history, because it started in the early ’80s, and yet the band remained together until their “retirement” in 1996!
And it was all over a woman. Johnny stole Joey’s girl, and MARRIED her in 1984. But it must have been love, because they were together until Johnny died in 2004. But Johnny and Joey stopped speaking and NEVER made peace. (???)
(Other feuds that made the list include Kid Rock vs. Tommy Lee . . . Sully Erna vs. Motley Crue . . . Sammy Hagar vs. David Lee Roth . . . and Courtney Love vs. Dave Grohl.)